Sunday, December 21, 2008

1st Annual Gingerbread House Decorating Contest


When the weekend before Christmas opened, I decided it would be great fun to start an Everett family tradition: Gingerbread House Decorating! It would be a small family affair, just Tony, Camden, and myself... Then I thought it would be a good idea to share this adventure with people that we love and turn it into a contest... 

and then came the night before the contest. 

After about the 6th hour of baking enough walls and roofs for 12 houses, 2 trips to the grocery store, and creatively substituting ingredients in my gingerbread cookies, I decided I may have bit off more than I could chew.

But it all turned out well... Some of the pieces were a little difficult to fit together, but thanks to a whole bunch of royal icing, the houses stayed together- for the most part. 

I had home-court advantage and picked the best pieces before everyone got here.

The Cho's were excited and got started right away.

Daniel thought he would win, if he paid a little credit to the Big Man upstairs.

Joe suffered injuries and forfeited, so the lady vultures around him took his walls. He had no house

Becky stuccoed her house together with icing.

Mark observed while Lynn got frustrated and played with Camden instead.

Sandra used every piece of candy that was available while Aaron x2 supervised, and Shania and Cad hung out under the table.
Robby made a unique ski in- ski out cabin, but it collapsed under the weight of the snow.

Chelsea ate her cute cottage instead.

And the winner are...



3rd Place: Daniel


2nd Place: Becky

And the winner of the coveted Christmas Trophy went to...

Janice Cho! 

...the host can't keep her own trophy, can she?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

the gingerbread cookies are SO good! I shared some with Dad, Jean, and Henry... I keep smelling the houses, and it makes me want to eat more!


I think I might have voted for Robby's if it didnt collapse. Nice door!

and thanks for handing down the tropie, even though I didn't really win it. Maybe next year, it should go to whoever stays at the table the longest!

Becky said...

That was super fun! Thanks for having us!

P.S. Why didn't you post a picture of my house? I am a little hurt! :)

Unknown said...

so i have to admit, i had a few (maybe more than a few) bites of daniels' gingerbread house a couple days ago (yes..more than two weeks later), and it was still soft and delicious. I had to throw the rest of the house away because it would no longer stand, without part of the roof and a missing wall... and also to avoid dust intoxication.

you need to update soon... work gets boring.

Becky said...

I agree with Janice... please update soon!

Also, I would like to hire Janice to make some fruit arrangements for me!

Additionally, I think Camden may have stolen the pictuer of my house, just like she stole my trophy!